Musings on Weather, Colds & Being Lazy…

Leave a comment Standard

Well – I don’t know what your Monday morning looks like – but here in my corner of NoVa, it’s pouring. It’s supposed to continue to pour for the entire day…and the entire evening…

I suppose I can’t really complain because this time last year it wasn’t rain that was pouring from the sky but snow – buckets and buckets of the stuff – more than I’d ever seen in my lifetime. Instead of wet streets and raindrops, this time last year I was peering out the window and barely making out the tip of the fire hydrant across the parking lot. Eek!

No automatic alt text available.

Winter Storm Jonas – January 2016

I suppose I can’t complain too much about all the rain, huh? At least there is no digging out involved with rain. It doesn’t look quite as pretty though, I suppose. Oh well…


Tea cures all ills….

What a week it was last week – what a week. While I’m certainly missing the day off that last Monday brought, I’m not missing the three hour drive to West Virginia that was also a part of the day off…or the three hour drive back home that was also involved! There are pros and cons to every aspect of life; the pro to our six hours spent in the car was that my sweet Nanny was able to be with us for a whole week, the con being – six hours in the car, ha-ha!

Tuesday and Wednesday passed fairly smoothly; at least where work is concerned. However; on Tuesday morning I woke up feeling just fine but as the day progressed, things went downhill a bit. My throat began to scratch, my head began to feel…not quite right…and by the time I got home from work, I knew the dreaded “cold” was beginning to descend on me. Blegh.

I did all I could – swallowing some cold medicine and sipping tea with lemon and honey – it seemed to help some but just to be safe, when my sister arrived on Tuesday night she bunked on my couch to avoid catching the ills.


Sneaking sips of milk…

I took Thursday off work to spend some time with my sister and my Nanny. I slept in until around 8:30 and it was so nice to be able to sip my coffee while being curled up on the couch…on a Thursday morning! The weather had been less than lovely for most of the week but the sun finally came out Thursday morning and the weather could not have been nicer – in the low 50’s and sunny!

We had tea at one of our favorite spots – The Coach and Horses Tea Room in Winchester – and as always, it did not disappoint! I don’t think I’ll ever find a spot that has such charm and personality as this place; it definitely doesn’t hurt that the food and service are always 100% amazing!


Tea for three!


A “cottage” on the property – I love all the ivy…

My Mom’s younger sister and her husband arrived on Thursday afternoon and we had a really delicious supper together; cooked by my wonderful parents, and really just enjoyed some time visiting. They all watched a movie together but I opted out because they started it at a time that meant it would end a little later than I wanted to stay up…what with work on Friday and all that jazz.

Watson – who has normally been such a social butterfly – seems to be getting less interested in being social as he gets older. He’s always loved my Aunt and Uncle and they love him, but once we had the whole family piled into the house, he was not so sure how he felt about all of it and he spent a good chunk of Thursday night hiding out and peering around my legs to take it all in…

He was especially pleased to take in the late afternoon sunshine on Friday evening and by then he’d warmed up to when we set out to go have dinner at Joe’s Steakhouse, he was disappointed to be left behind. He recovered and visited with everyone after we returned from dinner – but of course, he had to get to bed at a sensible time and by 9:30 he’d retreated to his bed and we didn’t see his furry little tail again till morning!

Saturday I woke up with an absolutely terrible headache…one of the worst things to wake up to on a Saturday morning. I took some Excedrin and tried to rally; hoping coffee and waffles would help and for a while it seemed like the headache might ebb and flow away…but it did not. After lying down for over an hour with one of my many scarves blanketed across my eyes to block out the light, I finally began to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I suited myself up and joined my family for dinner at Mimi’s near Dulles and then sadly – my little sister had to catch a flight back to Sin City and so we said our goodbyes for this time. We made a quick stop in at World Market where I snagged the cutest little tea pot for $5 and then we cruised home in the mist…


Love this little sister of mine!


Sunday I was the definition of a bum – and it was really nice. The cold that I’ve been dealing with for almost a week now really reared it’s head on Saturday night and Sunday morning, so I spent the day lying around, sipping tea, binge-watching White Collar and all in all just being completely lazy. I don’t know if I’d had been so okay with doing absolutely nothing if I had felt 100%, but it was just right for yesterday.

So – here’s to another week ahead – the last full week of January! Can you even? I can’t…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s